Thursday, May 23, 2013

5/23/13

SHould be another good post night.  I have time for it, which the astute Adventure Nickel reader recalls, means that I am on an overnight with a patient.  Good times. 

Trying not to be grumpy.  I am in another stretch where it seems like everything is turning against me.  Same thing happened last time I worked with this LMO too.  Weird.  I tend to get this almost paranoid thing going on where I am hyper-aware of every little slight.  So I try to do something of a reality check and realize I can't because I am on a cruise ship and there is very little reality around with which to compare.  Things like losing my third call day the day the new medical crew came on and then losing it again this coming weekend because new crew are coming on.  Things like getting asked to teach a three hour class on less than 24 hours notice.  Things like somone accidentally putting my phone number under the other nurses name so I get phone calls all night on my day off.  Add to all of this some other stylistic differences and it add up to me losing my cool about completely inconsequential things. 

"What IDIOT would shred all of the ingredients on a salad bar?  And all the salad dressings are CREAM BASED?  What Moron wouldn't put some oil based italian or balsamic vinaigrette?" 

People tend to doubt your stability when you get so upset about these trivialities.  But seriously, who puts up 7 cream based salad dressings and then a lone bottle of vinegar?  Sorry, I just can't let some things go.  So how was I feeling Max?





So, we were in Sitka today.



I was first call last time we were here and didn't get off.  The weather held again today and it was beautiful.  There is a very picturesque mountain just outside the town called, I believe, Mt. Edgecombe.  I'm not sure about the name of the one next to it, but they do sort of look like a before and after photo set.



I would be lying if I said there wasn't a cloud in the sky.  There was one.  This was it.


We got off the tender and started walking through parks and down streets toward a park at the end of town.  Michael has been interested in the martial arts lately and I have been teaching him some stances.  He's getting there.


Of course, there was some goofing off too.


Then we found the Sitka Sound Science Center.  I think it was developed for the rigorous study of tongue twisters.  Or sea life.

They had a small aquarium, a touch tank and a salmon hatchery.  The kids of course, loved the touch tank.


Because you can touch.





Then we got to the Sitka historical park.  Awful place.


It teaches about the early history of Sitka and how the Russians fought the natives here and ended up taking over the place.  There is also a beautiful park with a trail through the forest.  Get the kids off the ship and they just run and run and act all crazy.  Wait, they do it on the ship too. 



The park trail displays 11 totem poles that are no longer associated with any tribe.  I am guessing that means the tribes were all killed off.  Isn't history fun?  Really beautiful park though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment