Friday, January 25, 2013


What a day.

I keep trying to escape, but I just can't manage it. 

Started out OK.  It was a Half Moon Cay day and I was 1st call.  This means that two nurses go to the island and two stay on board.  I was scheduled to stay on board.  All started innocently enough.  Slow clinic day with a few minor things.  Then things started happening in rapid succession.  We had a 911 call for shortness of breath.  We get her down into the infirmary and are pretty sure right off the bat that we would have to send her off the ship.  The passenger doctor and the LMO are on Half Moon Cay along with one other nurse.  So, the crew doctor, the other nurse and I worked it up. 

As the new guy, the decision was way out of my hands, but I agreed with it.  In the end, the Captain was mad about it.  Not sure why, but it is what it is.  While we are getting all of the many things done with this patient, we get a call about an accident on shore.  Somebody was thrown from a horse.  We need to get them off of the tender and get them x-rayed.  So now we are into that. is crew doctor hours, so the waiting room is filling up with crew that need to see the doctor.

The decision is made, unbeknownst to me, that the other nurse on shore will have to accompany the disembarking patient on the flight to Ft. Lauderdale.  And in order to maintain staffing, they want me to go ashore now.  So, I hurry and eat lunch, all of this happened about thirty minutes before we close up for lunch, and change to go to the island.  Half an hour to get there and half an hour to get back only leaves an hour or two on the island, but at least that was somewhat relaxing.  I passed out a few bandaids.  Then I helped get the patient from our tender to another ferry which would take them to another island which would take them on a flight to Ft. Lauderdale. 

Then I went back to the ship.  I arrived in the clinic, told them I was back onboard and went to my room to change. 

I didn't make it. 

Before I could get the door closed, the phone rang with another 911.  Someone fell down the steps in the main showroom.  So, still dressed in the island clothes, I ran back to the clinic, grabbed the medical bag and went running to the showroom. 

In the end it was time consuming, but luckily no one was seriously hurt.  By this time it was well into the afternoon clinic time, which is not the responsibility of the 1st call.  So, I took a break for an hour and went to pack. 

In through the evening, the phone has continued to ring.  Nothing serious, just little things that require 15 minutes of time.  Oh well. 

I get to go home tomorrow. 

I plan on updating some more pictures and perhaps even a video or two onto the website or Youtube or something. 

Sitting here at 10:30 boat time, I am still getting regular phone calls. It could be a long night, but it is only one night....


No comments:

Post a Comment