Sunday, February 17, 2013

2-17-13

OK, time to play a little catch up. We are on Zuiderdam. Day one was busy, as expected. Getting to know the new crew and trying to figure out how this thing works with a family on board takes time. Then there are the mandatory meetings and getting ID cards and laundry and figuring out who goes what, where and when. It was very tiring. Poor Max fell asleep at the dinner table, but I believe I mentioned that already. We did manage to get him up and awake enough to get the kids registered and introduced at Club HAL, the kids area. They seemed to like it and now continually bug us to let them go play there. Day two was Half Moon Cay day. So I sat in the medical bungalow while Sarah and the kids played at the beach. We avoided the worst of the sunburn. The kids had a grand time playing on the beach, the waterslides and the park equipment. Of course they did. Sarah was pretty tired keeping up, but I think she had a pretty good time too. Hard to not have a good time on a private Carribean island. I did get to see them for a bit, not all was work. It was crowded though, the Westerdam was there at the same time. Eventually we got back onboard and took off. I was first call and had to get back into the clinic. Using all that energy during the day, Max fell asleep at the table again. Poor little guy. Michael was buzzed and wanted to go to Club HAL. Max woke up and decided he wanted to as well. We let them for a few minutes. I had call all night and not one phone call. That just means that I will get stormed later on this trip. Call me a cynic. Today I was 'off'. Of course, the last nurse here was released before contract ended and left a few things undone that I had to make done. So I did get some office time today. I did my first voyage report for a voyage I wasn't even on. Yay me! There have been frustrations. Sarah is still getting used to such a drastic change. I am still getting used to the new MO's. I'm still feeling everyone out at this stage. I miss my buddys Mary and Kelli. Some day I hope to sail with them again. It will work out. One of the big things we were worried about hasn't yet been a big thing. We all snuggled right into the room. The kids are sleeping on two pool floaties covered in sheets and blankets on the floor by the bed. They just crash right out. It gets a little tight in there when we are all changing for dinner, but nothing too heinous. Good thing we are used to tight fits already. I took the kids up to the sports deck today to play basketball, tennis, soccer and several odd combinations of the three. It was fun. Sarah got to lay out for a few minutes. Tomorrow we get to Aruba. I am 2nd call and won't get out much. Sarah isn't sure how much she and the boys are going to get out. We will have to wait and see. One unfortunate turn is that each of my 3rd call days this trip are on sea days. Oh well, what can you do. The LMO here is a little tighter with control of the internet and I am a little tighter on time because Sarah and the kids are here. I will try to get some pictures up in the next few days. I have been planning on writing on the Touchpad to keep up the daily journal a little better, but the keyboard died and it is a pain to use without it. I foresee a cheap laptop in my not too distant future. Just something to write on and store pictures. Live and learn.

2 comments: