Monday, February 11, 2013

2-11-13

Interesting thing, plugging back into the 'normal' world.  I mean, I have spent the past week or so living in houses.  Full time full speed internet, cable and/or satellite, large screen TV, big fridge, the whole nine yards.  I was struck by something.

There seems to be a trend, and I think I had to step away a bit to fully see it.  The trend is toward comfort. Sounds good in theory.  I can see the seductive lure too.

It is possible to create a very comfortable life with all of the above accoutrements and more.  You can pay someone to mow your lawn.  You can even get groceries delivered.  You can look online for recipes and grocery lists.  If you have a medical problem, you can get a pill.  You can watch TV and listen to talk radio and even be told what to think.  Hell, if you watch advertising, you can even be told you are inferior if don't do those things. 

The problem as I see it is that they lessen your impact on the world.  People seem to be driven to create a situation where they don't have to do anything.  Isn't that odd?  You work hard so that you don't have to work?  You do stuff so that you don't have to do anything. 

Aside from the obvious paradox there, isn't it just a little bit sad that you don't want to do anything? 

If you don't want to do anything, why are you here?  Why be alive in the first place? 

Nope, I am going to go ahead and choose to do things.  Sometimes they will be stupid things and sometimes I will make mistakes.  Sometimes, hell often, I will be uncomfortable.  That discomfort is a small price to pay to get out into the world and do things.  The seduction of comfort is powerful, but I think it can wait. 

I think there is a part two for this post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment