Saturday, June 9, 2012

6/9/12

On Monday we become homeless.  Yup, we are taking IRV in for some work and will be moving in to a hotel room.  On the plus side, the internet connection will probably be much better.  On the minus side, everything else.  Well, not totally.  There will be a pool and some workout facilities.  I will be closer to work.  Doesn't matter, things need to be done and this is the best way to do them. 

I had an interesting patient the other day.  He was a gentleman who was riding in the AIDS Lifecycle event.  This is an annual (I think) event where riders ride bicycles from San Francisco to Los Angeles to raise money and awareness for AIDS prevention.  It is a great event.  My patient was a rider in the event.  While talking to the patient and the patient's significant other (I never definitively established a relationship) we talked a bit about fundraising for a good cause. I mentioned the I will be doing the Tough Mudder next month and that I can use the event to raise money for the Wounded Warrior Project.  He told me a touch about his fundraising efforts for the AIDS lifecycle and it brought me to the conclusion that I am negligent in my duties as a fundraiser.  I am not running the event for the Wounded Warrior Project.  I am running for me.  I can, however, raise funds for them.  To that end, I wrote a little essay and posted it on Facebook trying to raise donations.  I will include it here. 




What did they give you?

They all volunteered at the least to give a few years of their life in defense of yours. All of them. And these are the young and healthy years. Time spent away from family, loved ones and the familiar comforts of home like hot water and fresh food. Many of them gave much more.

Some gave up their lives as they knew them. They gave arms and legs, sensations and the ability to walk. Love lives were lost forever before they were ever really started. Some gave up the ability to walk down a street without waiting for a garbage can to explode or a window to erupt in a blaze of gunfire. They gave up peace of mind so that many others could have it.

What can you give back?

The Wounded Warrior Project is an organization devoted to aiding those who have given so much. They provide services for wounded veterans and their families. Among their programs are the Combat Stress and Recovery Program, the Transition Training Academy, the Warrior to Work program and many other programs developed to support the returning veteran and their families.

On Sunday, July 8 I will be running in a Tough Mudder event in support of the Wounded Warrior Project. This is your opportunity to give back. Please remember, all donations go directly to the Wounded Warrior Project. I am not asking for money for me, but for them. For more information, please visit woundedwarriorproject.org To donate today, visit this link.



Please share this with your friends so they may have an opportunity to give back. Help our veterans today.

Thank you.

If this made you guilty enough to donate, thanks.  If it didn't, check out my facebook page, I am only getting started. 



No comments:

Post a Comment