I don't have that. So, this isn't really a how-to post so much as a how-did. This is what I did. Should you find yourself in a similar situation, you may want to hire an expert.
I am not that smart.
Here we go.
When last we left, we looked like this.
|Rotten. Yeah, there's a rant coming.|
|Hello timber my old friend.|
|This is what it looked like from the inside.|
|I had to put on my construction Crocs. That explains the socks.|
|We ripped out the drywall. It was nailed to the studs we needed to remove.|
|Time for the big stud.|
|Banged it into place and nailed it down.|
|Things didn't look any better from the inside.|
|Sometimes you just have to grab the sawsall and hope for the best.|
|The rot goes all the way down.|
|Oh yeah, flooring. Hard to rebuild a wall if you don't have a floor.|
|The rot goes all the way up too. Sigh|
|At least I had a helper. Max was learning and helping.|
We had to put in some bracing to keep the squeaks down and provide stability to the edges. I'm getting better at making holes in the floor that it is easy to cut out of a plywood sheet. Either that or I'm getting better at cutting weird shapes out of plywood sheets. Maybe both.
|Screwed it down, forgot to glue it down.|
|Removed all of the rotten structural material up top.|
I've ripped out boards, cut out floors, sawed through nails and generally demolished a huge amount of this house. The two screws holding the upper wall frame to the roof were the toughest part of the house.
The sawsall didn't phase them. Papa joked that it wasn't cutting them so much as polishing them. I ended up having to rip it out by hand.
|New board up top.|
|Cut to a new window frame. I added back some more bracing after this.|
Believe it or not, I'm tired. Back to work tomorrow. Both here and the hospital.