Thursday, July 28, 2016

Learning.

OK, so Andy did the majority of the back of the house.  Watching him go was an education.

I was, and am, determined to do as much of this myself as I can.  So, I have to make mine look at least as good. 

I have my work cut out for me. 

That's a carpenter's joke.

There we are, starting to take shape.
 I had removed the rotten sections of floor joist and sistered them with more joist running back to the frame rail.  It felt pretty sturdy. 

There was still a problem though.

Can you see the problem class?
 The particle board sub floor was still rotten. It had to come out. Unfortunately, pulling the rotted flooring out from between the joists and the sill of the wall was a labor intensive and persnickety process.  I could, however, pull out the joists and remove the material a little more easily. Oh yeah, and I checked for nails this time.  No impaling myself on the house today.

Don't forget to remove the old linoleum. It too went all the way under the wall.
 And those staples! And nails!  I think the weight of fasteners in this house might rival the weight of the wood.  Well, the dry wood anyway. The stuff saturated with water is pretty heavy.
But, eventually, I was able to remove all the rotted subfloor and I put pieces of plywood in place to hole everything until I was able to get a larger, continuous pieced cut and placed.

Then, I used a large scrap piece that just so happened to come right up to where  I will be putting the bathtub drain hole. I installed the piece, squared it up with a rubber mallet and a sacrificial piece of wood for banging. 

Looks almost like I meant to do it that way.
There were still some rough bits to finish up, but we had a visitor.

One of my bestest nursing friends came to town with a birthday lunch for Sarah.  She has kids about our kids age and we all skipped work to go to the local swimming hole after lunch.

It was made from an old rock quarry.

Neat old sandstone quarry.

It is spring fed, apparently. And beautifully too.
It was formally requested that I not post pictures of the ladies in their bathing suits on the Internet.

She didn't kill me for flooding the house.  Those are all the swimming pictures you're gonna get.

Then, it was back to the house for an hour or so until the kids Jiu Jitsu class.  I managed to sneak in a little more work on the house.

I think it's shaping up.

That, my friends, is an improvement.


Then, it was off to kid's martial arts class. 

Belt testing is coming soon.  Exciting times.

On the way home, we noticed the sunset was going to be a good one so we stopped at our favorite viewpoint.



Rainier

The Olympics.
More tomorrow.

Then working on the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment