Saturday, September 15, 2012

9/15/12

I went for a run today.  Did my standard run to the park, workout, run home route.  When I visited Dad, I checked the soles of my Vibrams and came to the conclusion that I was still running on my heels too much according to the wear pattern.  So I have been concentrating more on my form.  Today I finally really felt like I had it down.  I was landing on the ball of my feet, transitioning to full foot as my weight moved forward and then levering my foot up using my calves. It felt like my legs were spring loaded and there was no real sense of impact, no jar.  I got to the park in a reasonable time and then I felt it. 

My calves were tight and swollen a little.  Nothing too bad, but I still had 2 1/2 miles to get home.  So I started running home.  Now, more aware of the pump in my calves, I started trying to land more mid-foot and found myself landing flat.  Thud, thud, thud, each time my foot hit the ground.  No padding.  This wasn't working well.

So I walked most of the way home.  Short bursts of running with walking.  By the time I got home, my calves felt better, but tomorrow will be the big test. 

I think I will go back to my other running shoes until after the Austin Mudder.  Then I'll strap the Vibrams back on and transition more gradually this time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment