Sunday, February 23, 2014

Houston

We lived in Houston for ten years. We have a house here.  This is where we started traveling...it's the place we left.

That should give you an idea of how we feel about the place.  We left for a reason. And every day, we are reminded in a hundred little ways of why we don't live here anymore. 

Miles outside of the city we started to dread everything.  The traffic built up.  The trees and ponds were replaced by strip malls and storage yards.  Flowers were replaced by plastic bags.  Even the prettier places, and there are a few, are all landscaped and designed.  They are the golf courses and wealthier neighborhoods.  I don't really like those personally, I prefer a wilder beauty. 

So I decided to do a little cathartic photo essay of why I don't like Houston.  I keep forgetting my camera when I go out though.  Seems like my motivation is to capture beautiful scenery and not the ugly stuff.  I think it would make an interesting project and still want to do it.  Since I keep forgetting my camera, I used my cell phone.  Not the best, but it will have to do for now.

Houston hates trees.  Houston kills trees all the time.

See, more dead trees with a tank of flammable liquids to finish them off.  Probably so they can put in another strip mall or dollar store.

Because we take such great pride in the beautiful strip malls and dollar stores we already have. 

Why is there a path in the middle median and not the side?  This is the panhandler path.  Back and forth.
Still, we come back.

Why? 

Papa helping Michael with math homework.
Because this stuff can be priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment